National conference this Saturday
National councillors will meet in Melbourne this Saturday for the biennial conference of Pipe Bands Australia and the annual general meeting.
The conference agenda has been distributed to councillors and branch secretaries for promulgation to members through their bands.
Among agenda items for this year's conference are:
* A proposal to amend the current age definition of juvenile players to better align with the school year, rather than the registration (financial) year;
* A proposal to create an ensemble division within the Australian Pipe Band College, recognising the role of ensemble education and adjudication in contemporary pipe band performance;
* A proposal to review the structure of Pipe Bands Australia and review and reporting on governance changes within the organisation;
* Future investment in education and training initiatives;
* Progress reports on the 2017 Australian Solo Drumming Championships and the 2018 Australian Pipe Band Championships
* Community awareness and engagement initiatives
It will be the first time in many years that the annual general meeting, including presentation of financial statements, has coincided with national conference where elections for contested positions will also take place.
The one-day conference is programmed to run for eight hours at Mantra Hotel, Tullamarine.