Pipe Bands SA supports the development of Pipe Bands, Piping and Drumming in South Australia. The Branch has member Bands within Adelaide and a number of regional centres.
The SA Branch aims to build the strength of the branch and bands through:
- Tuition Programs: This includes a Summer School Program, Education and Training Grants to Bands and the College activities including online and face-to-face tuition.
- Massed Band Events – the Branch supports a number of massed band events each year such as a Tartan Day Parade and the Royal Adelaide Show display. The rehearsals for and participation in these events aim to create a bond of fellowship between bands and all branch members.
- Band Contests – The Branch promotes one contest per year in October at Salisbury. The Branch welcomes any approach from other organisations willing to promote a Pipe Band Contest in South Australia.
- Solo Piping and Drumming- The Branch conducts a solo drumming contest in conjunction with the Band Contest in October. The Branch partners with the R U Brown Piobaireachd Society to support solo piping contests in Adelaide.
- Communication and recognition – PBSA publishes a newsletter every 2 months (February to December), called “The Piping Shrike”, which is distributed to all members electronically.
The forerunner to PBSA, was the South Australian Pipe Band Association (SAPBA) formed in 1960. The SAPBA has now been wound up.